HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS WALNUT CREEK
Hotel rate starting at just $87 at
We've found quality local Lafayette hotels & lodging to meet your needs.
CLARION HOTEL CONCORD
Hotel rate starting at just $70 at
EXTENDED STAY AMERICA - PLEASANT HILL - BUSKIRK AVE.
Hotel rate starting at just $95 at
The handwritten demand note handed to a Seattle bank teller wasn’t typical, investigators said.
“Sorry, but this is a robbery,” the note at the Bank of America said on Dec. 4. “I have a gun. Empty Till Quick & Easily.
“Please. My kids are hungry.”
The man behind the note, Steven Cobbs, Sr., had his hand in his pocket indicating he was armed, police said. He wore a wig, glasses, and a face covering, FBI investigation documents show.
Police believe he bought them from the thrift shop next door to the bank.
But court documents show the suspect has a history of assaults on children – and the bank teller didn’t buy his story.
The teller didn’t comply with the demand, even when Cobbs allegedly told the teller he had a minute to comply. When he didn’t, Cobbs fled without any money.
Seattle police found the wig and face covering in a nearby garbage can. Surveillance video also helped the teller identity Cobbs. When officers found him not far from the bank, they said he was wearing the same clothes as in the surveillance images.
“He said he purchases his disguise at the Value Village store which is next to the banking center,” Detective Len Carver III wrote in a probable cause document. “Cobbs viewed printed surveillance images taken during his robbery attempt and identified himself in them. He signed and dated the images. Cobbs looked at the demand note and identified it, adding that he had written it.”
Court records show Cobb had a violent criminal history – one that includes assaults on children.
In 1998, he was convicted of child rape, and has three convictions for child molestation. Cobbs also has been convicted for hit and run, domestic violence assault, resisting arrest, DUI and other crimes.
If convicted for the current attempted robbery charge, Cobbs, 46, will have his third strike toward life in prison.
His arraignment, where Cobbs is expected to enter a plea, is scheduled for Dec. 23.Fri, 13 Dec 2013 06:15:03 -0800
A federal judge in California has ordered a 43-foot-tall cross at the site of a war memorial in the San Diego area to be removed because he says it violates separation of church and state.
The cross first went up in honor of Korean War veterans back in 1954. CNN reports lawsuits against the cross started almost 25 years ago when two Vietnam vets argued it violated California's constitution in 1989.
The New York Times notes the battle behind the cross on Mount Soledad has gone back and forth since then. In 2006, the federal government took over the land through eminent domain in an attempt to save it from being taken down.
Which brings us to Thursday's ruling. The American Civil Liberties Union filed the latest lawsuit regarding the cross — and local stations in San Diego have gotten reaction from local residents as well as the ACLU after the ruling. (Via WECT)
MILSTER: "I just think it's horrible. It's a tremendous memorial to veterans who gave their lives protecting us and protecting our freedom, and I think it should stay." (Via KGTV)
WERGELES:â€‹ "We're firm believers in the constitution of the United States and for American values of separation of church and state. ... We are in full support of anyone's desire to express their religious belief in any way they want to. We should not be doing that under federal property." (Via XETV)
And an attorney who has fought for the cross to be taken down told U-T San Diego: "After 23 years, if you can’t come to a reasonable resolution, you’ve got a constitutional violation and you have to remedy it."
The judge ruled the cross has to be removed from the top of Mt. Soledad within 90 days, but the cross can stay if the ruling is successfully appealed in another court. (Via WLS-TV)
The president of the Mount Soledad Memorial Association told KGTV he plans to appeal the ruling.
- See more at Newsy.comFri, 13 Dec 2013 05:44:00 -0800
â€‹ED HENRY: “Dozens of media organizations have written to you about this. ... What’s being done for actually improving that access?” (Via The White House)
As perhaps no one knows better than White House Press Secretary Jay Carney — the press does not like to be denied.
ED HENRY: “We’re not allowed on that same platform. That was just a couple days ago.” (Via The White House)
The whole thing started Wednesday with an op-ed in The New York Times by Associated Press director of photography Santiago Lyon — quite strongly titled “Obama’s Orwellian Image Control.”
He called official White House photos like these “propaganda” — and noted the White House press corps had only been allowed to photograph the president alone in the Oval Office twice.
In November, the White House Correspondents Association sent a letter to the White House protesting its practice of releasing official photos in lieu of allowing actual press access to certain events.
Events like the president’s July 10th meeting with members of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus.
And his October meeting with Pakistani human rights activist Malala Yousafzai.
Cut to Thursday — a full 17 minutes of the press briefing were spent on the issue of photographer access. There was some yelling:
"Guys! Our problem is the access!"
And a lot of interrupting…
"Hold on guys. Hold on. John." (Via C-SPAN)
While Carney said the White House was working to address the concerns over access, he didn’t get specific, so Thursday likely won’t be the last he hears of the issue.
- See more at Newsy.com
Fri, 13 Dec 2013 05:26:30 -0800 News Source: MedleyStory More Local News Stories